FLUKE 773 Milliamp Process Clamp Meter - Troubleshooting without Breaking the Loop
The FLUKE 773 enables you to troubleshooting 4 to 20 mA process control systems without breaking the loop!
Unlike conventional clamp meters, the FLUKE 773 features a remote jaw that is connected to the main body via extension cable.
Anyone who works in any kind of manufacturing plant knows that nothing can ruin a day faster than unscheduled downtime. The lost production time means lower output, which can have a sizable price tag. In a process plant, lost productivity can be magnified because an entire batch of a product could be ruined if the outage occurs at a critical point in the process.
The 773 measures milliamp (mA) signals without breaking the loop, which makes it ideal for troubleshooting the transmitters, valves, and programmable logic controllers (PLCs) found in process plants. It also sources and measures dc voltage, so it can be used to troubleshoot voltage input and output devices. The clamp section of the meter is detachable and can be used as a remote jaw, connected to the main body by an extension cable to make it easier to take measurements in tight spaces.
Finding Intermittent Problems Without Breaking the Loop
“The biggest thing I’ve found with the 773 is that I can troubleshoot a live device without having to power down, and possibly miss something going on in the process. When you’re dealing with chemicals you can have an ongoing problem that’s very quick and intermittent and eventually leads to a single major breakdown. I can take the 773 to the process instrument, hook it up, observe the output, and compare it to an indicator. It can eliminate the transmitter as a point of error in the loop using mA simulate, and the clamp meter provides its own 24-volt loop power for performing substitution and isolation tests.” Taken from the attached Application Note (always read the product manual before use)
▶ Video: FLUKE 773 Troubleshooting a 4-20 Loop
FLUKE 773 (and 772) Key Features:
- Measure 4 to 20 mA signals without ‘breaking the loop‘ (five times faster than with traditional DMMs)
- Source 4 to 20 mA signals for testing control system I/O or I/Ps
- Simulate 4 to 20 mA signals for testing control system I/O
- Measure 4 to 20 mA signals with in-circuit measurement
- Simultaneously measure mA in-circuit with 24 V loop power for powering and testing transmitters
- Source mA output signals in a linear ramp or 25 % step output
- Automatically change the 4 to 20 mA output for remote testing
- Power saving features, auto-off, backlight timeout extend battery life
What extra features do you get with the 773?
- DC voltage measurement to verify 24 V power supplies or voltage I/O signals
- Source dc voltage to test input devices that accept a 1 to 5 volt or 0 to 10 volt signal
- Scaled mA output provides a continuous mA signal that corresponds to the 4 to 20 mA signal measured by the mA clamp
- Output mA signal enables a logging DMM (289)or other device to record the 4 to 20 mA signal without breaking the loop
- mA in/out: simultaneously measure the mA signal with the clamp and source a mA signal
- Apply a mA input signal to a device and measure its’ 4 to 20 mA output on devices such as valves or mA isolators
- Voltage output linear ramp or 25 % step output
- Automatically change the voltage output for remote testing
What comes with the FLUKE 773?
- FLUKE 773 Milliamp Process Clamp Meter
- Four AA alkaline batteries (installed)
- TL75 test leads
- AC 72 detachable clip
- TL 940 mini hook test leads
- Instruction sheet
- Hanging tool with hook and loop strap
- Soft carrying case