Radiodetection CAT4+ Cable Avoidance Tool (Metric Depth, StrikeAlert), Genny4 and Bag
Radiodetection‘s CAT4+ and Genny4 range enables operators to work more efficiently, more safely, and to manage their CAT4+ and Genny4 fleet more effectively.
CAT4+ Key Features as Standard:
- Metric Depth
- Avoidance Mode for rapid surveying - Simultaneously search for and pinpoint Genny, Power and Radio signals.
- Genny Signal Locate
- Power Signal Locate - Detects the electromagnetic fields generated by loaded power cables.
- Radio Signal Locate - Detects long-range radio signals as they travel along buried cables and pipes.
- Small Diameter Locate Frequency
- eCert - Forms part of an annual service regime and is activated through the CAT Manager PC software.
- Dynamic Overload Protection
- StrikeAlert Warning - Warns of shallow buried utilities, improved in C.A.T4+ to minimise false alerts.
▶ Video: How Do I Locate Streetlighting Cables:
The new CAT4+ digital platform delivers highly refined locate capabilities, specifically designed to help the operator find more buried utilities. The CAT4+ Avoidance Mode lets the operator check an intended excavation area for Power, Radio and Genny signals, and pinpoint located utilities in a single scan. Features such as the bargraph ‘tidemark’ enable an operator to quickly spot a peak response and zero-in on a buried conductor.
CAT4+ and Genny4 have been designed to increase the likelihood of detecting smaller cables such as telephone lines or CATV, particularly service drops from the road or pathway to a property. The Small Diameter Locate frequency transmitted from the Genny4 is designed to ‘jump’ onto these cables.
Dynamic overload protection - High levels of electrical interference, as found around substations and near high-voltage transmission cables, can overload sensitive electronics. This feature automatically filters out this interference, enabling CAT4+ to continue locating where other units struggle.
The audio signals emitted by the CAT4+ are derived from the signals detected. Radio, Power and both Genny signals can be easily distinguished from each other and from background noise, helping identification of target utilities and aiding differentiation of closely co-located utilities.
CAT4+ Hardware Key Features:
- LCD Screen and Depth button - Displays signal level and status information
- Loudspeaker - Detachable speaker for use in noisy environments
- Sensitivity Control
- High contrast display with auto-backlight
Radiodetection GENNY4 Signal Generator
Locate more, and smaller, utilities with dual power and simultaneous dual frequency design.
- (GENNY4+BAGPACK) GENNY4 & Soft Carry Bag (designed to hold a CAT4+ and Genny4, plus their accessories)
A large number of cable strikes are low voltage electricity cables and many of these are street lighting cables these types of cables are mainly located in footpaths, are frequently not identified on plans and are commonly only buried at a shallow depth and often do not radiate a signal during daylight hours because there‘s no current flowing even though it is still live. Watch the video above to learn how to detect and locate street lighting cables safely and accurately.
The Genny4’s patented simultaneous dual-frequency signal output facilitates location of small diameter cables such as telecoms and street lighting, including spurs. The power boost function in Genny4 enables the locate signal to travel further and deeper, and couple onto utilities more easily.
The CAT4+ Avoidance Mode lets the operator check an intended excavation area for Power, Radio and Genny4 signals, and pinpoint located utilities, in a single scan. The bargraph ‘tidemark’ enables the user to quickly spot and zero-in on a buried conductor.
The Genny4 provides a class-first simultaneous dual-frequency signal output. Alongside the familiar 33kHz signal for general purpose locates, the Genny4 transmits a specialised Small Diameter Locate frequency which facilitates location of utilities such as telecoms and street lighting, including spurs. For difficult locates, the Signal Boost function enables the Genny4 signals to travel further and deeper, and couple onto utilities more easily. CAT4+’s Dynamic Overload Protection feature automatically filters out high levels of interference, allowing operators to continue working even in electrically noisy areas such as substations and under high-voltage cables – and requires no input from the operator.
Genny4 Key Features:
- Includes direct connection leads and earth stake
- Signal Boost - Signal Boost feature increases the output signal by up to 10x allowing you to locate over extra distance and depth.
- Dig more safely! offers a number of features designed to support safe working and help to drive utility strike rates down.
- Straightforward operation and introduction - CAT4+ and Genny4 retain the familiar CAT operating interface first introduced by Radiodetection in the mid-1980s and have been designed for full reverse-compatibility. For example, all Genny3 accessories are compatible with Genny4. Engineered to deliver a step change in capabilities with minimal change in work practices or training requirements.
- Accessory storage tray - Conveniently store Genny4 accessories, including the supplied magnet, earth stake and direct connection leads.
The Genny4 Signal Generator is for use with the CAT4+ and gCAT4+ Cable Avoidance Tools.